Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Blog/Journal 5: Trying Twitter

Although I started my personal Twitter account around 2008, I only began regular activity in July 2014 (@IvanAlberCPP). My first posts in 2008 didn't include any mentions of other accounts or hashtags. Now with a better understanding in 2014, I've done a better job of "interacting" and promoting other users and topics.

I think Twitter serves as a very important tool within the world of collegiate athletics, the career field I'm in currently. One of the best uses is the weekly Twitter chats that are available to those working in sports. Some of these regular chats include:

#sbchat – Sundays, 9:30pm ET (sports business focus)

#SportJC – Every other Monday, 8:00pm ET (focuses specifically on getting a job in sports)

#social4tixsales, Tuesdays, 8:00pm ET (best practices in ticket sales)

#sportsPRchat – Tuesdays, 9:00pm ET (sports PR focus)

#smsportschat – Thursdays, 9:00pm ET (intersection of sports and social media)

Because of time constraints, I haven't been able to participate in many of these chats. I still check in periodically and read the recaps of the chats. There are many mentions of best practices and advice from those folks considered "experts."

Another great aspect of Twitter is the idea of reaching media members easier through social media than it might be through the normal email distribution of press releases. Recently, I was able to contact a Univision sports anchor about an upcoming story. I don't think that contact could have been achieved through regular email communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment